Investigation into Palo Alto Phantom Phone Calls Continues
By Jesse Dungan, San Jose Mercury News
Original publication date: Jan. 28
Palo Alto, Calif. — A spokeswoman for the manufacturer of a mobile device that sent hundreds of phantom calls to Palo Alto’s emergency communications center in a five-hour period earlier this month said Friday the company is working with local officials to track it down.
Kathryn Blackwell said Continental Automotive Group, meanwhile, has confirmed that the device was not installed in a Ford vehicle, as suspected by Palo Alto officials.
She said the company expects to get at the root of the problem this weekend, adding that “we’re working very diligently on this.”
As first reported by The Daily News on Thursday, Palo Alto’s emergency communications center received 566 calls in 20- to 25-second intervals between 8:30 p.m. Jan. 13 and 1:30 a.m. Jan. 14. Each came from the same unsubscribed number, with no one on the other end.
Charles Cullen, technical services director for the Palo Alto Police Department, said dispatchers tracked the calls to a cell phone tower operated by Verizon, which identified the electronic serial number and blocked further calls.
According to Cullen, Continental Automotive Group makes a device that automatically dials 911 following a collision and such gadgets can be found in Fords. On Friday, Cullen said he confirmed with Ford that the device responsible for the phantom calls was not in one of its vehicles and has asked for more information from Verizon. He is also working with Continental to solve the mystery.
Though Continental produces the gadgets, Blackwell pointed out that car manufacturers decide whether calls go directly to 911 or to an independent call center to vet the emergency first.
About the Author
E-mail Jesse Dungan at jdungan@dailynewsgroup.com.
Copyright © 2011 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy
Related Link
- “Palo Alto Dispatch Center Receives 566 Phantom 9-1-1 calls in 5 Hours,” By Jesse Dungan, San Jose Mercury News. Jan. 28, 2011.